Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Chinese Education

A Chinese magazine had an article about a couple, father is American, mother is Chinese, both have degrees from prestigious US universities, and they've decided they'd rather their child get a Chinese education.

One of my favorite translation blogs, Ministry of Tofu, has the scoop.

It's funny to me, because I graduated high school early and as a teenager believed there were serious, fundamental problems with the American education system. Our system is far from perfect, but now, having lived in Asia for three years and having worked in education, I know that if I had to, I would pay through the nose, do whatever it took, in order to give my child an American education as opposed to a Chinese one.

American education emphasizes independent thinking, creativity, critical analysis and confidence-building. Plus, American kids have time to play. I'd rather raise an individual than a worker bee.

It's very interesting to me that people, especially those with experience in the US education system, could come to the exact opposite conclusion of what's best for children.

But then, there are a whole lot more rich Chinese people who send their kids to high school in Canada or pay for private education here, this couple is an outlier.

No comments: