Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Debbie Spend It Now - Comedy Gold!

I'm almost a whole week late to this (scratch that, I'm even later because I didn't finish this blog because it's deadline week -AAAAAH), but it's too hilarious not to re-post. This is a political ad that aired in Michigan during the Super Bowl.


I would bet a lot of money that this girl is American, because she doesn't sound Chinese. And uh, China is a rice paddy? Are China and Vietnam the same place? I also like how she does the coy eye-batting thingy, like some kinda peasant dragon lady.

On the one hand, some Asian people (mostly Asian-American people, Chinese people in China don't care) had to be offended in the making and airing of this ad, and that's unfortunate. It does have that "scary other" quality. On the other hand, this is like high comedy art. And I'm glad it's out there for my amusement. I can't imagine it's really doing much for Pete Spend It Not since it got so much negative press.

In other news that book I was editing (read: rewriting) for forever ... I'm going to have to do some more editing. Wah. But the good news is I have more work because it got a favorable first reading at a big university press. Hurray. The people said it was well written. Yay.

No comments: