Sunday, August 31, 2008

Ah, Unemployment

I’ve never worked full-time for more than a summer, but this year a whole new level of meaninglessness accompanied my Labor Day holiday since I’m now no longer in school and I don’t have a job.

I got up shortly before 10 a.m., tromped to the kitchen and ate potato chips until my mouth was raw. Then I took the dog for a walk. I played some ping pong. And I squeezed in two naps and a bath. I also managed to get dressed by mid-afternoon. Feeling extra festive, I donned an XXL t-shirt I received at an interview in Texas for a job I wasn’t chosen for. It would’ve been better had the shirt read, “I flew all the way to Houston for a job interview and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.” But alas, it only carries the company logo.

I couldn’t savor the full existential crisis I expect befalls some non-laborers on Labor Day, because I do have a half-baked plan for the next 12 months or so. Oh well. There’s always next year.

No comments: