Monday, December 8, 2008

Miracle in Danshui

Yesterday we took a Sunday trip to the very end of the Taipei red line. Danshui is a little touristy township that's supposed to be a lover's destination thanks to its gorgeous sunsets.




There were lots of people snacking on sausages and grilled squid waiting for the Sun to sink below the horizon. And no the miracle was not the sunset. I didn't even get to see it.



James and I were too excited by the thought of halfway decent Mexican food to wait. We scrapped the sunset and trekked to Eddy's Cantina.

James: "Is that pepper holding a joint?" Me: "No! That's a burrito."


Last week I read about Eddy's on Hungry Girl's Guide to Taipei. Danshui is pretty far out of our way, but once I found Eddy's online, I knew we'd be going over the weekend. Mexican food is rare in Taipei. And, according to Hungry Girl, edible Mexican food is almost non-existent.

It's been three months since my last burrito. Southern California is arguably the best place in America to eat Mexican food, and I ate it at least weekly up until May of this year. Thus finding a Mexican food restaurant in Taiwan was pretty much the most exciting thing that's happened since I left the States (kidding, that award probably goes to finding good pizza in Taiwan).
Cactus-stem glasses! Adorable!

We started with nachos and margaritas. My margarita tasted like it had more alcohol than the entire amount I've imbibed since arriving, but after a few sips I didn't mind so much.

Your eyes do not deceive, that is squeeze cheese on my nachos. Back home I would only accept such a substance at a ski lodge or a sporting event. But beggars can't be choosers. After nachos we split a burrito and an enchiladas plate.

From Danshui

Three plates! I'm proud of us.

Afterward I managed to walk a straight line to the counter where I paid $990NT (about $30 U.S.) for our experience. It was the most expensive meal for two we've eaten here - funny since Mexican is the cheapest cuisine to eat back home in L.A.

Overall, I'd say the fare would rate as passable for a mid-sized American city Mexican joint. But for Taiwan, it was a godsend. I haven't been that full since I left home. Sure, I've been really full on occasion. But Chinese-food full and Mexican-food full are very different. No amount of rice or dumplings lends itself to that entire-body-feels-heavier sensation that accompanies a gut full of cheese and ground beef. Glorious.

2 comments:

MitMoi said...

On my first trip to Germany, when we got home - the only thing I wanted to do was GO EAT MEXICAN. I had no idea how much I'd miss it over the 12 days that we were gone. I cannot imagine a year or two without weekly Mexican ...

I hope it's a habit you can indulge in at least once a month!

ps: *shudder* at the idea of consuming squirt plastic cheese. YOU ARE BRAVE!

joanh said...

hi! just found this post randomly.. glad you found eddy's cantina and hope you liked it! you gotta try some of the other mexican food places in town and you'll see how much better it is! it is really far away, but closer than california! :) thanks for reading my blog!