Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hang Loose ... Or not

When I'm shopping people respond to me in a number of ways. I always start my conversations in Chinese. Some people reply in English, some use Chinese. And some employ a combination of the two.

But there's a special group of people who speak to me in neither language. These people prefer the point-and-gesture method of communication.

I've run into enough point-and-gesture people to formulate a hypothesis that they do know some English. But they're torn between feelings of obligation to speak to me in English and feelings of dire humiliation at having to use their language skills. I can relate: I never used Spanish outside the classroom, although the opportunity occasionally arose.

The problem with these mimes, with whom I am trying to do business, is that sign language is not universal.

I know Chinese numbers, no problem, now. But rather than say the price, these people will make a series of hand gestures. In America, we raise five fingers and a thumb for 6. Chinese people do this:

Hang loose? This isn't Hawaii! I just want to know what I owe you! That was my initial internal reaction. I'm starting to catch on. But I would still prefer to be spoken to, as I'm not sure about 7,8 and 9 (1 through 5 are the same as back home ... I think).

No comments: