Saturday, April 4, 2009

Oh Thank God, It's Friday's

Usually it's something I pass on: Applebee's, Cheesecake Factory, Chili's, T.G.I.F's - mleehh... I shouldn't have to pay for chain-store "atmosphere" to eat a plate of buffalo wings.

But I've been in Taiwan long enough that the prospect of visiting a restaurant that sells barbecue riblets and fajitas and fried macaroni bites excites me.

Tonight James and I fulfilled my desires, we visited T.G.I.F.'s in the neighboring town of Cjinpu.

Of course, this wasn't downtown Taipei, so there weren't any other waiguoren. I could see the bar TV from our table. At one point I saw a Tiger Balm commercial with a fat Chinese lady wearing blackface, which would never fly back home.

But other than that T.G.I.F.'s was exactly the same as everywhere else - right down to the faux 1950's knickknacks pinned to the wall. I could've been in any state of the union. I had a mojito and a barbecue beef sandwich, and James and I split the fried macaroni bites. It was awesome.

No comments: