Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Good News?

I saw it made national news yesterday The Seattle Times - where I interned last summer - made some money! (Aside: If you were standing in the photo, turned right and walked a dozen paces you would be at my desk. So's ya know.)

Sounds like this was due to the fact the Seattle P.I. stopped circulation, and most everyone switched subscriptions over to the Times. The Times will still have to deal with circulation that will presumably continue to decline, but it's nice to know there's still room for a newspaper in the rainy city.

The Times is a family paper. Last summer one of my editors told me Frank Blethen, fourth-generation publisher, had a tattoo of the Times' logo. And that he would pay for anyone who wanted matching ink. Sounded like a good job security move to me: When layoffs come around, the guy with the company tat. wouldn't be at the top of anyone's list. Even if he's not that good! What would that do to morale?

Print journalism majors: We have to consider all the options. I was only there for a ten-week internship, so my first tattoo will still most likely be an eagle exploding out of a skull riding a motorcycle that's on fire.

No comments: