Thursday, February 18, 2010

Full Disclosure

Everything is happening fast. I haven't had time to blog, except to tell y'all I'm going to Shanghai for a blog/webby job. So if you aren't clued into La Familia Grapevine, here's the skinny:

Still here on the Oregon Coast, I was spending my days surfing for jobz, trying to write and being way too anxious about the great unknown.

I found a job posting for a web editor for a Shanghai magazine. Applying to job ads online feels like throwing darts into the dark - you don't really expect to hit anything, but going through the motions becomes habit.

This job seemed super-duper cool. Still I thought: There's no way. But after dinner one night, emboldened by the glass of wine in my hand, I sat down at my computer and fired off the resume, clips and a glib introductory email (you know me, I love to rock the glib).

One day later, I was talking to the Editor in Chief at 4 a.m. (my time). Turns out he liked this blog (ka-ching!).

Then came the waiting part (which really wasn't long). But while I waited I realized this job was like someone had cooked up my dream job: 1. It's in a big, happenin' Chinese city, 2. I'll be writing, 3. I'll be writing cool stuff on the Internets - a triune of wicked coolness! OMG!

And two days after that 4 a.m. phone call they offered it to me!

The magazine is That's Shanghai, an English language lifestyle/entertainment magazine. The website is Urbanatomy.

So there's your proof internet dreams do come true, despite what Tay Zonday says. Start a blog, move abroad, teach brats to speak English, come home, live in parents' garage, get offered your dream job in Shanghai.

Of course, I haven't even boarded the plane and have only an inkling of what it will be like. There's a small possibility it's all a sham to traffic girls into sexual slavery and my father will have to come save me à la Liam Neeson in Taken. But I've been to Shanghai and I've held this magazine in my hands - so we're probably safe.

I will continue to blog here. My spidey senses tell me most my creative juices will be drained at work. This will remain a venue for the latest 'n greatest in the life of Leslie (minus the crazy boss stories, because, ya know, this time around they read English).

4 comments:

MitMoi said...

I am SO, SO, SO excited for you. It must be good luck coming from the Lunar New Year.

Yesterday I was offered a job! (yay)
Monday I have an interview with another company. I think this one IS the perfect job - and the pay will be right. But no matter what - I'll come off the unemployment rolls soon!!! Quadruple yay for both of us.

Happy Friday Leslie!

Leslie said...

Hoo-ray! Yay for no more unemployment on both coasts/continents.

Mishi said...

Hi Leslie!

This is Mishi from The rest of my life so far.... I'm a longtime reader/lurker. I just wanted to say congrats on your new job! I'm glad that you'll still be writing here. I can't wait to read about your new adventures!

Also, the new header cracks me up. :)

Leslie said...

Thanks, Mishi! I didn't design it, but the talking flower was my brainchild :) Excited to find I can read comments in Google Reader over here. Cheers!