Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Last Full Day

I don't want to leave.

This morning I woke up and started trying to figure out how I'm going to get 'home'. I opted out of the train, because the travel agent said there would be big delays because one derailed Sunday.So tomorrow I'm flying back to Shanghai. Oh, but I don't want to...

After I booked my flight, I took myself to City Hall for a dim sum lunch. I was a bit gleeful, not having to share for once. But then I felt sick afterward. That'll teach me.

Then I took the bus to Stanley, a small-town tourist trap on the southeast side of the island. There's a market, a beach, a waterfront promenade. I bought a summer dress, waded on the shore for a bit, sat in the shade for a good long while. But the best part of going to Stanley is the drive over, the rode is narrow and steep so if you sit on the top level of the double-decker bus (which I did) it seems like you're in real danger of going over the edge. It's also fun to drive past all the swanky houses.

Back in Hong Kong, I took the star ferry to Kowloon because no HK trip is complete without a ride on the old green-and-white ferry. Once in Kowloon, I decided to wait for the sun to set and watch the lights all come on across the water. Then I wound up staying for the light show - a bunch of neon lights on Hong-Kong side skyscrapers and lasers twinkle to a recorded soundtrack.

I got hit on twice today. Once by an Afghani second-hand electronics dealer, and the second time by a med. school graduate taking a break before he starts his ophthalmology residency. He offered to correct my lazy eye ... in four years.

No comments: