Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Movin' On Up

Question: What do you call a pair of English teachers, two Mongolians, a Japanese architect, one missionary, and a South African jazz musician clambering up a staircase at 10 a.m. this morning?

My Chinese class on its way to buy the next textbook!

I haven't posted in a few days because we had our big book-number-one Chinese test. I don't know if I actually studied more by not blogging. But I felt I couldn't justify doing anything productive besides studying. In reality, well, I watched a whole lot of Britain's Got Talent on YouTube. Man, that's quality reality.

Our class is on the third floor, after we finished the test our teacher immediately sent us to the 4th-floor office ("Kwaidian, kwaidian!" Quickly, Quickly!) to purchase the next book and we plunged right in.

So now I'm on my second Chinese textbook. I'm feeling pretty big in my britches, like I'm running with the big dogs now. Of course, this feeling will rapidly subside the next time one of my students tells me I talk Chinese funny, or worse just gives me a blank stare.

3 comments:

King of New York Hacks said...

Awesome !! I've always wanted to tackle the Chinese language, was it very difficult ??

peggy said...

Hi Leslie,
This is new territory for me. I don't know if you'll receive this?
I've been meaning to check in with you since receiving your blog site info.
Ried is getting married in July.
Lonne is having another baby boy in September.
How are you and your family?
Take care,
peggy

Leslie said...

King of NY:

Chinese grammar is much, much simpler than English's. The tones are tricky at first, especially if you don't have a good ear.

Peggy:

Hi!!! Good to hear from you! Wow, life moves fast, how exciting for you about Lonne and Ried.

My family is doing great. The boys are playing a ton of music and now it's baseball season...

Email me sometime, that way we can start a correspondence - which is an easier way for us to communicate

My email is: undersundog at gmail.com