Monday, May 25, 2009

Snake-a-Snake-a-Snake!

Is that a feeder bunny I see on the right?

On Lily's last night we went out to Taipei's most touristy night market, Snake Alley, where people go to admire and/or eat snakes.

Just like my Uncle Indiana, I'm not a big fan of the snake. But I managed to cowboy up and ingest some.

Snakes are about as delicious as they are cute.


Lily one-upped me and had two bites.
The meat was icky. Very chewy. Not flavorful. One bite was enough. Our meal also came with a shot of snake blood, snake bile and snake poison.

From Snake-a-Snake-a-Snake!

The "poison" and the "bile" just tasted like booze, so I suspect there was just a tiny bit, if any, of the actual snake stuff in it.

The rest of the table passed on "bile."




!

The blood was disgusting, and by far my least favorite part of the meal. It had some sort of herbs in it.

Dinner on Display!
It was a quirky way to top off a great weekend with Lily. She's somewhere over the Pacific now, bound for Los Angeles. I was sad to see her go.

Videos of all the snake-eating tomfoolery are posted on my YouTube.

2 comments:

MitMoi said...

Ewww-ewww-ewww!

I've eaten snake - fried rattlesnake to be exact. It was slightly chewy and I think the crunchy-coating is where the flavor came from. I could take it or leave it. BUT SNAKE BLOOD, BILE, AND ... POISON?? No thank you. Silly thrill-seeking Taiwanese.

Unknown said...

snake-ah, snake-ah, snake-ah, snake-ah!

Thanks for the hilarity and not the H :)