Monday, March 1, 2010

Quickly Before I Crash...

I woke up at 3 a.m. today. Didn't really get back to sleep. Now it's 10:30 and I've been out all day. But, so's ya know, I had a really good first day:

My office is in this cool old house. The editorial staff works in this converted living space in an old home (1920s or so, they think).  I didn't do a whole lot my first day. There was all the usual first-day awkwardness. And by 4 p.m. I went into zombie mode. My boss said I was welcome to go home and nap, but I powered through.

After work the editorial staff took the subway to Pudong and at dinner at the sky-high Jade on 36th, in the Shangri-La Hotel. You walk through the restaurant lobby and there are floor-to-ceiling windows. Incredible views - it was like walking above the skyscrapers. 

We were seated next to the window where we had views of The Bund, and were treated to a six-course meal with three varieties of wine. There was a cold asparagus cream soup, foie gras, scampi, a buttery grilled fish, lamb shank and lemon meringue with a sweet basil garnish. Oh yes - the most interesting course were these delicious marinated tomatoes served with a dollop of parmesan cheese ice cream. 

What can I say, I'm a lucky girl. Now I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

Mishi said...

Parmesan icecream? That sounds interesting.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's one heck of a first day! Hopefully each day just gets more and more awesome.