Friday, February 27, 2009

Names

On Friday my boss and I discussed an upcoming demo for a pre-school art class I might teach. I love my boss, she's really funny and spastic, but her English is such that we frequently end up at cross purposes such as:

Me: "So, we'll do introductions and then make monkey masks. Do you think that's enough for a twenty-minute demo? Or should I plan something else also?"

Boss: "Yes, the parents will be seated in the back."

Uhhh...

Then I asked her whether or not all the little kids would have English names already. Every student I've taught in Taiwan has an English name. I don't even know their Chinese names. But I'm not clear on at what point they receive these names. Sometimes their parents give them to them. Sometimes it's somebody else.

Boss: They are so little. Maybe they wont have English names. Maybe the parent will ask you to give them English name.

Me: Oh no! I wouldn't know what to call them.

Boss: Maybe you can say, 'Ok. You! Beyonce, Ok. You! McDonalds.'

Me: (laughing) How about Kentucky?

Boss: No, no. Chinese people will know this one.

(KFC is really popular here.)

The demo was today. Turns out the kids all had English names - Willy, Austin, Daniel, Melissa, Sabrina. Maybe some other time I'll be able to give the world another Beyonce.

3 comments:

Heather Lea said...

I think you should either name them all variants of your name -- Leslie, Les, Lee, Lesleah, Lester -- or name them after the Jacksons and their offspring -- Tito, LaToya, Jermaine, Jermajesty, Prince Michael, Blanket...

Leslie said...

Ooooh, that's good. Better than my idea, which was to indulge my chilhood princess-name fantasies: Cordelia, Francesca, Isabella, Victoria. But then, what would I call the boys?

Heather Lea said...

Um, I think you can just call the boys Cordelia, Francesca, Isabella, and Victoria. Lots of American names are gender neutral, yours included. You can just pioneer gender crossover for some new ones. Though I still think few things are more American than giving all your kids versions of your own name a la George Foreman.