Thursday, October 16, 2008

FCC Taipei Member

Oh, if I hadn't had a second drink I would be doing a better job putting faces with the stack of business cards I collected at my first FCC meeting. And no, not a single safari vest was present at the event.

Safari vests aside, I have to admit I was surprised by how very similar the Taipei FCC contingent was to journalists back home: overworked and meagerly paid, though I suspect dollars here go a little farther than back stateside, or wherever - there were a couple Germans, a Swede, at least two Aussies, a guy from Turkey, and several Americans at the mixer. An Aussie working 12-hour days for Bloomberg, who has written cover articles for Time, gave me the typical "well, I didn't get into for the money..."

Someone told me it probably wouldn't be so hard to get a copy editing gig with a local English-language daily (that might include some writing). Sounds like a grind.

I think a better plan for the next 12 months is to teach a little English, read a stack of books, send some query letters into the ether, and write a brutal, beautiful ballad about Joe the Plumber. It'll be an American tale.

p.s. WHY doesn't that guy have a Wikipedia page yet?

No comments: