Friday, October 10, 2008

Mormons of Angkor Wat

I found them! Their name tags may have been in Khmer, but sure enough we spotted some missionaries at the temple.

Los Angeles, Cambodia, or Florence, Oregon - the Mormons all look the same. I call that terrific branding. Props to the Church of Latter-day Saints for fabulous brand recognition.

Seeing these two young Mormons at Angkor Wat reminded me of a time I was at a friend's house as a kid. She came from a family of devout protestants. Lots of protestants aren't partial to Mormons. They think Mormons aren't the real Christian McCoys. Her family was the type of protestant that thinks Mormons are blond-haired, blue-eyed devils. I'm the type of protestant who thinks any religion that maintains such high numbers of attractive men among its ranks can't be bad. James better watch it. Maybe I'll convert.

Anyway, I was sleeping over at my pious friend's house. "My dad," she said ominously. "He can spot a Mormon from a hundred yards away." The eight-year-old me pictured this girl's dad using his steely eyes powered by the holy spirit to pick up on their evil Mormon aura.

I have since realized it doesn't take esp to pin a Mormon at three hundred feet. There are no stealth-mode Mormons. The pants, dress shirt, name tag and wholesome countenance pretty much give it away.

No comments: