Sunday, October 5, 2008

Leslie goes to Cambodia, Part 3

There's no part 1 and 2 for Cambodia here, because Cambodia part 1 took place in 1997 when I was 11, and Cambodia Part 2 went down two years later when I was 13 - both visits were for the purpose of adopting my two little brothers when they were infants. Those two trips were the most important formative events of my life.

This time I'm the only member of the Jones clan headed south. And I wont be coming back with any rotten-toothed, scabbies-infested rugrats in tow. James, Tina and I are going on a 5-day tour to Angkor Wat. It's with a Chinese tour company (we got an amazing deal through one of Tina's travel agent friends), so maybe I can work on my Mandrin in Siem Reap.

I never though my third visit would involve a tour bus full of Chinese travelers, but I don't think it'll be my last visit either. Cambodia has a special place in my heart for several reasons. Two of those reasons are sitting in Sunday school right now in Florence, Oregon. They're so jealous of me for getting to go without them, but my parents are planning a trip for them in a year or so. And I hope when their turn comes they fall in love with their birthplace the same way I did when I was their age.

No comments: