Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween Cont.

Dinosaur!

Though I was stuck teaching on Halloween night, I did make it to a Nov. 1 Halloween party at the home of an American journalist working in Taipei - someone I met at the FCC happy hour. James and I found a quickstop by the subway station. We bought my dinosaur hat (seen above), a fake beard for James and the cheapest bottle of wine we could find. Then we made our way to my new friend's house.

There was a pretty good turnout, mostly western men and their local wives/girlfriends. Everyone was older than us. But I didn't get invites to any Halloween parties for twenty-something westerners in Taipei. And people were very friendly anyways.

Pretty much no one was dressed up. That's ok, I'm always going to dress up for Halloween. James had to toss his fake beard because it was shedding everywhere. We camped out on the couch and chatted up another couple. The man was from South Africa, though he's been in Taiwan for a decade now. His wife is local. We talked about where to visit in China, the can't-miss destinations within Taiwan, and a little bit of global politics - all the while I had to keep pushing my dinosaur back up my forehead because its feet kept covering my eyes.

Then it was time to catch the bus back to Nankan. James did a good job of not acting annoyed when I wore my dino all the way home.

No comments: