Thursday, January 15, 2009

Leisure Activities

This week's English chapter for the 4-year-olds was Leisure Activities: reading, drawing, fishing, hiking, playing computer games, etc.

I asked each of them what they like to do for fun. The answers were predictable - watch TV, play with toys. But when I asked what their daddies like to do it got interesting.

Roy: My daddy like to use a bathroom.

Me: For fun?

Roy: Yes.

Me: Are you sure?

Roy: Yes, he like to use a bathroom.

Roy was smiling and insistent. I decided I knew enough and moved on to Ivan.

Ivan: My daddy likes to drink a water. It comes in a circle, I cannot drink.

Ivan smiled mischievously, like he was saying something naughty.

Me: Your daddy likes to drink water? Okay. that's good.

Ivan: Yes, but I cannot drink. He can drink, you can drink peejioe.

Ah-ha! Peejioe, another one of those useful Chinese words I have actually learned.

Me: Oh! In English we say beer. Your daddy likes to drink beer.

Ivan: My daddy like to drink beer.

After this revelation, it was time to move on to mommys. The mommys had an easier go of it. According to their sons, the mommys liked to read, watch TV, and play with their kids.

Roy: Teacher Leslie, you mommy like to what?

Me: My mommy likes to paint pictures.

Roy: You mommy?

Me: No. No no no. I am not a mommy. But I have a mommy. And my mommy likes to paint pictures.

Roy: Oh ... You have a boy or girl?

After that, no matter how carefully I said it, Roy remained convinced I am a mommy. He probably thinks I'm withholding some strange and interesting little white playmate from him.

No comments: