Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mooovies!


On Sunday James and I went and watched Red Cliff II. I can't understand why they aren't showing this two-part John Woo epic in America. It has everything - amazing sets and costumes, crazy battle scenes, a good storyline, and jokes that survive subtitles.

We had a fabulous trip to the movie theater, much more successful than last time: That was on New Year's Day. We went to see Changeling and I got to be the crazy white girl who ran out of the theater crying. I don't know what I was expecting from a missing child movie. But I wasn't prepared for little boys being dismembered in a chicken coop.

From now on I'm following my father's rule, which is no missing child movies - unless of course said missing child movie involves Bruce Willis dodging a fighter pilot who is blowing up a big rig on a freeway ramp. That is an acceptable missing child film.

"Can we watch something happy at home?" I sniffed as we walked back to the apartment, thinking we'd pop in Talladega Nights or The Jerk.

"How about Slumdog Millionaire?" James asked upon arrival.

"Is that happy?" I was wary.

"Fox Searchlight says it's the feel good movie of the year!"

"mm. ok."

While I mostly enjoyed Slumdog, my idea of "feel good" doesn't usually involve Indian waifs being blinded with acid by gangsters so they'll make better beggars.

James is well intentioned, bless his heart, but sometimes he just doesn't get it.

Anyway, if you're reading this from my homeland, rent Red Cliff when it comes out on video and watch it on a really big screen! And if you don't have a really big screen, take it to a friend's house. So worth it!

1 comment:

Ezra said...

About fanny boyle's feelgood movie of the year: it is so great. But I realize that I only felt good for the last five minutes and writhing in vicarious pain the other 100-odd minutes of it. But I love it. I'm glad you enjoyed it, at least in some partial way, haha.

Love ezra