Monday, January 12, 2009

Lost in Translation: Laundromat

Everywhere I go in Taiwan, I see stilted English. Awkward menu items, obtuse signage - but nothing beats my laundromat. Clearly the owners didn't want to trouble anyone who'd even had basic English lessons with a little proofreading. The best I can figure is they plastered their walls with English words translated through an online program, no humans necessary.

Ever wondered what the family of a high-ranking military officer has to do with baking clothes? Look no further:
James' rough translation of the Chinese: "Pull door hard to open."
Garbage Sort
For recycling your pot bottle.
Only omnivorousness will save the planet

2 comments:

MitMoi said...

Please, Omnivorous!

If I ever get a plant this is what I'm going to name him!

MitMoi said...

Wait ... I mean if I ever get a pet ... this is what I'll name him.

(the rule is no pets 'till I stop killing plants. Neither are in the near future!)