Friday, January 23, 2009

'Tis the Season (again): Chinese New Year

Picture of a lantern display hanging in Taimall, my local mega-shopping atrocity/complex.

New Year Decorations
The Christmas trees came down shortly after Jan. 1 and now there are red lanterns, strings of firecrackers, and all matter of ox-themed decorations about town (if you haven't been keeping track, we're coming into the year of the ox). Department store caroling soundtracks were replaced with something I identify only as upbeat Chinese music that's heavy on the gong. It all sounds the same, but I like it.

I also like that, for the first time since October, I have an entire week off! I don't work very many hours as it is, but i do spend more than 15 hours a week commuting, and I'm tired. We don't have firm plans, but James and I are hoping to get about the island some with our time off.

I just finished my last class of the week so the holiday starts now, yeehaw! James wont be home until late. I intend to spend the remainder of the afternoon eating leftover Thai food and watching a movie that's not part of the Criterion Collection.

James: Gee, you know I really don't have very many fun movies.

Me: Yeah. I know.

No comments: